In this time of environmental awareness, energy saving is one of the most important matters to keep in mind for new building construction or remodeling projects.
The role played by external facades is the key to reduce the impact on the environment, helping reduce the heat dispersion in winter and heat accumulation in the summer.
The opportunity to use the porcelain stoneware tiles of different designs, colors and sizes offers a choice of high performing material together with the highest aesthetical results.
The technical features of the porcelain tiles, as we all know, provide the answers to many questions regarding the maintenance, cleaning and durability.
In addition to that the frost and hot protection and the 0.5% water absorption help create a strong and durable barrier against any extreme weather.
Design and plan a ventilated facade
A ventilated facade is a technological complex system which requires a deep knowledge of the different steps to follow: designing the project, studying the best solution for the anchoring system and choosing the right material to cover the facade.
Architects, engineers and designers will need to examine the architectural concept or design of the building, it will be necessary to create a study feasibility based on the national regulations and then identify the material to be used and the structural plan.
Having all these ready it will be necessary to complete the detailed final drawings plans.
The decisions to be made regards:
- the covering or the external facing such as wood panels, stone tiles, glass, metal panels, terracotta tiles or porcelain stoneware tiles.
- the anchoring system: visible and exposed anchoring or concealed undercut anchors
- studying the functional layers : wall support layer, the insulation and ventilation layers and nevertheless the load bearing structure. It is mandatory to evaluate all the aspects and requisites
The ventilated facades, increasingly popular in the international architectural community , are the best solutions for corporate buildings, big commercial spaces such as airports and shopping centers, hotels, museums just to mention a few.
The advantages of using ventilated facades are many:
- energy saving : reduces the energy waste in both cold and hot weather
- elimination of cold bridges: it protects the inside from the external temperature avoiding the temperature interchange between in and out
- protection from humidity and from extreme weather
- soundproofing: it reduces the acoustic pollution creating a sound barrier
- suitable for both new building and renovations
Porcelain stoneware for ventilated facade
Among the wide range of materials suitable for this type of project the porcelain stoneware plays a crucial role in the realization of ventilated facades.
The technical features meet the aesthetical characteristics of the porcelain which may significantly improve the building appearance, thanks to thousands of designs available in the market and the opportunity to choose among a great number of finishes and sizes.
The 6mm or 10 mm thick tiles are much lighter than marble, stone or terracotta tiles and more than anything the high technical characteristics of porcelain such as excellent mechanical strength, frost and thermal shock resistance, flame retardance, Uv colour fastness, the resistance to chemical attack and smog and the low maintenance required make this material the star of a ventilated facade.
To get further information please fill the form and download the best project guide available.